Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Brown Recluse Sings and Miscellany...

(Sigh). What a fun and interesting weekend we had here at RMDS (emphasis on interesting)...Hopefully you checked out our Format and Anathallo review (twas a very good time)...Anyways, now on to the good stuff...

I don't know why I have sat on this for so long. Maybe it's cause I've been listening to it non-stop for the past week (Check my last.fm if you don't belive me!). But the promptness of this post is in no way relational to the excellence of thier music. Ok, before the ambiguousness drives you crazy, let me tell you that Brown Recluse Sings is legit.

"Beautiful indie pop" would be my way to describe this Philadelphia quintet's sound. Their songs come across as effortless and non-chalant; casually placing trumpets and keyboards into their swaying acoustic melodies. "Lazy Bones," the EP's opener and highlight, is a song of lamenting: a college student's anthem. This isn't a song about a slob being "lazy," but that of a semi-regretful teen sleeping in till 3 in the afternoon. He plans on mowing the lawn later. Maybe...The following track is just as good. "The Calm Before The Storm" shows no indication of a storm whatsoever. In fact, the song is pure summer bliss right from the get-go. The sunkissed lyrics blossom over and over again (0:39, 0:43, 1:15, 1:20...). Try not to bob your head.

-mp3- Brown Recluse Sings - Lazy Bones
-mp3- Brown Recluse Sings - The Calm Before The Storm

I could go on like this for each of the six songs on the EP, but the nice fellas at BRS asked me to stop at 2! Look for their debut to be ready in October! Show 'em some love and be their friend...

Brown Recluse Sings on Myspace

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now on to the miscellany. And not any miscellany to dismiss I might add...

- If you even made one half-assed effort to read the blogs today, than you've already seen the Sufjan news.
Wait, wait, wait! Tell me. Ok fine. Asthmatic Kitty announced today that Sufjan is readying a 5-disc Christmas box set to hit the shelves on November 21. It comes with all kinds of goodies (stickers, essays, pictures, etc!!!). And the best part is AK offered up a new song. I like it...you can too:

-mp3- Sufjan Stevens - Sister Winter

- You should head over to IGIF to check out a sweet hip hop post(if you are into that)...I'm really starting to get envious of these guys and their ridiculously good mega-posts.

- I too, like many other bloggers, have been listening non-stop to the new Joanna Newsom album YS. And like Joe, I also have found a top candidate for my album of the year. It is playful, emotional, serious, juvenile, prolific, beautiful, monumental, and so many other adjectives rolled into one...Check out a sweet Newsom post over at the Yellow Stereo, where you can snag a bundle of live tracks.

...well I think that's about it. RMDS has a ton of new albums on our que, so look forward to some good posts in the near future. Like always, right?!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The colors on this blog make me happy.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home