Tuesday, November 28, 2006

RTB? of the Day: East River Pipe

As promised, I am beginning my new feature today that will be ongoing until I post my "albums of the year" list around Christmas. Being the not-so-creative guy I am, I will be calling it the "Remember This Band?" feature. So anyways, on to the good stuff...

I feel pretty silly not having heard of East River Pipe's 2006 release What Are You On? till just the other day. In fact, when I first got the album, I ignorantly assumed it was their debut. To my suprise, What Are You On?, is ERP's outsanding sixth LP. And although I am not familiar with any of the band's back catalog, I can assure you that this album, released way back in January, is something not to be forgotten during the hustle and bustle of year end lists. The opening two tracks are fantastic:

-mp3- East River Pipe - What Does T.S. Eliot Know About You?
This song really is instantly likeable. His eccentric, muffled voice accompanied with the perplexing lyrics are hard not to latch on to. I can't quite decipher what this song's meaning really is, but I pick up a hint of sarcasm regarding people who think they are really smarter than they actually are. Ahh, I have no clue. It's just a good song, work with me.

-mp3- East River Pipe - Crystal Queen
If Wayne Coyne and The Soft Bulletin had twins that were separated at birth, than this song would be the lost child. While "Race for the Prize" received the proper nurture and upbringing, "Crystal Queen" got lost in the rough. Despite his neglect, he still managed to maintain a simple likeability with its spacy vibe and distant synths. Now that this gem has finally been unearthed for all to hear, and it is his turn to shine. Although no 10.0 reviews will accompany him and his friends, it definitely deserves your ears!

Buy What Are You On?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got this off of eMusic many moons ago. I dig the T.S. Eliot song.

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JESUS CHRIST! YOU SHOULD CHECK ALL HIS BACK CATALOG. ESPECIALLY THE SARAH RECORDS RELEASES AND MERGE RECORDS. DUDE, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSING!

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent artist. massively underrated for over a decade now.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superb back catalog. Start with "Shining Hours in a Can", then work your way through "Poor Fricky", "Mel", "Gasoline Age" and "Garbageheads". This guy is kind of the anti-Britney Spears.He seems anti-fame, anti-media hype.He never tours, does little press and works at Home Depot.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just found out about this guy.
great sense of melody. i like the fact he had a friend help him pick himself up like that. wish i could give of myself like that.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Pola said...

What does T.S. Eliot know about you?
He knows nothing in particular
But you talk and talk as if he do

You bought that April stuff
Just like an innocent pup
But all those months are equally cruel
When I rip off the mask
You wanna hang with Slash
Smoke bong hits by a heated pool

What does T.S. Eliot know about you?
He knows nothing in particular
But you talk and talk as if he do

Yeah, you read half a book
Then you say, "take a look!
T.S. is my new best friend!"
You just want showbiz kisses
From hollywood bitches
Not visits from the hollow men

He knows nothing 'bout you
Nothing 'bout you

---
'April is the cruellest month', wrote Eliot in 'The Wasteland' - hence the mention of April and of all the months being equally cruel. Another poem of his is called 'The Hollow Men', very worth looking into as well. I don't know if hanging with Slash means the Slash from Guns'n'Roses, but it could be so; it could mean then that the 'you' referred to in the text is pretending to be an intellectualist reading T.S. Eliot, being a shallow guy in the reality, who likes to have fun with the misses etc.
'You read half a book...' - I find that very true. I felt the same way as I was reading 'The Cocktail Party' - it instantly hit me that Eliot knew me so well. But he can't have, right? So maybe that's what it is all about. That giving your life away to some dead poet does no good. Although I find it the other way round; anyway, I adore the song.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home