Monday, October 23, 2006

Darling, Won't You Please Come Home


It's been awhile since an album has really completed me. I know that sounds like an over-dramatized statement, but the new self-titled Math and Physics Club album has essentially engulfed me of late. I find myself listening to it when I wake up, when I go to bed, when I am wishing for fall weather in Southern California, and basically, whenever else I feel like it! MAPC isn't necesarrily doing anything new (see Lucksmiths and B&S), but something about its perfected soft, delicate pop sound seems to grab ahold of me on every single one of the ten tracks. The lyrics are perfect for an anguished teen, as it discusses relationships and heartbreak in numerous seasonal settings. This album is a must have for not only fall, but for 2006. Look for this album on my end of the year lists and enjoy this beautiful song!

-mp3- Math and Physics Club - Darling, Please Come Home
Everything on this track seems to fit in to place perfectly. Jangly guitars and a hushed pop melody accompany the lyrics of a lovestruck boy longing for his love to come home. Like all the other songs on the album, this one takes on a specific seasonal feel with the descriptions of the sun setting and the fireflies outside. The culmination of this aesthetic occurs at the 1:25 mark when the song shifts pace and lead singer Charles Bert whispers: "I love it when the coals burn way down low / You slide up next to me, so sweet, so slow." If this isn't the anthem for a fall romance, I don't know what is. Mmmm, darling, won't you please come home?

Here's another song from their 2005 Movie Ending Romance EP:
-mp3- Math and Physics Club - Movie Ending Romance

MAPC's Site

Be Their Myspace Friend
Buy their EP's and Math and Physics Club at Matinee Record

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home